“The MFL department wish to create confident global citizens who want to broaden their horizons and experience different languages, cultures and challenges.“
AIMS OF THE MFL DEPARTMENT
The MFL department aims to promote a positive image of language learning in a lively and stimulating environment. The department also aims to develop the students’ self-confidence and self-esteem so that they are able to communicate effectively in the Target Language. All students should be made aware of the vast opportunities available to them if they have knowledge of a foreign language.
The MFL department hopes to nurture…
- The students’ ability to communicate confidently in the TL by listening, reading or viewing for personal interest and enjoyment as well as for information
- Language skills for example the students’ ability to initiate and develop conversations
- Language learning skills and knowledge of language by for example developing the use of dictionaries in Key Stage 3 to extend vocabulary
- Cultural awareness by, for example coming into contact with native speakers of the TL country, and where possible, visiting that country.
Aims of Modern Language Teaching and Learning
- Promote the school ethos of Inspiring, Achieving and Enabling
- Promoting mutual respect and good at all times
- Developing the skills for inter-group and cross-curricular relationships
- Language skills for those wishing to pursue a career in a language oriented area.
- The use of patterns, symbols and formulae for those intending to pursue a scientific career.
- The ability to communicate freely and understand others for those entering management or careers, which require the ability to relate to others.
- The skill of perseverance, useful in any form of employment.
- Modern languages offer the possibility of seeking employment where demand lies i.e. the freedom of movement within and between nations within Europe.
- Modern languages can open up wider horizons for the pursuit of leisure activities, important in an age of rapidly expanding technology and shrinking employment opportunities:
We encourage students to communicate confidently in a foreign language
- To make contact with others and make oneself understood
- To confidently start a conversation in the target language
- To be willing and able to cope with everyday matters in another culture, eg restaurant, hotel, garage etc.
- To develop independent thinkers and learners
- To develop students’ cultural awareness
- Specific aims of the teaching of Modern Languages We aim to:
- Develop the ability to understand and use the chosen foreign language effectively for the purposes of practical communication.
- Develop the ability to use the chosen language both imaginatively and creatively and to understand the language used both imaginatively and creatively.
- Develop an understanding of the grammar of the chosen language.
- Offer insights into the culture and civilisation of the countries and communities that speak the chosen language.
- Encourage positive attitudes to foreign language learning and to speakers of foreign languages and a positive approach to other cultures and civilisations.
- Develop students’ understanding of themselves and their own culture.
- Provide enjoyment and intellectual stimulation
- Form a sound base of skills, language and attitude required for further study, work and leisure.
- Promote skills, which have a wider application such as information technology, and learning skills (eg analysis, memorising, drawing inference).
Mrs S. Poller
Head of MFL
Mrs Poller is Head of MFL at Aldersley High School
What’s in store for our Key Stage 3 Students?