Dear Parents/Carers,

People who suffer from nut allergies can develop a severe, potentially life-threatening allergic reaction. If someone has a nut allergy, it is not just eating nuts that can cause a severe reaction, just being touched on the skin or smelling the breath of someone who has had nuts or a product containing nuts can trigger anaphylactic shock (which can cause breathing and swallowing difficulties). First aid staff in the school are trained to use the Epi-pens (an injection of adrenalin) which is required immediately if this happens.

We have a duty of care towards students in school with nut allergies and have therefore made the decision for all schools within our trust are to become nut free. We ask for your support in ensuring that no nut products are contained in student’s lunch boxes or brought into the school as treats. For example:

  • Peanut butter sandwiches
  • Chocolate spreads
  • Cereal bars
  • Some granola bars
  • Cakes that contain nuts
  • Biscuits / Cookies that contain nuts
  • Peanut butter cakes
  • Some Asian food, including satay Sauces that contain nuts

This list is not exhaustive, so please check the packaging of products closely. Moving forwards, we do have to insist we are a nut free school and any products containing nuts will be confiscated, in order to safeguard the safety of students who have nut-allergies.

We ask for your support, in ensuring our schools are nut free.

Yours sincerely

 

Mrs N Davis

Executive Headteacher